Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Digital Trends article from Education Week

There are three things I took away from about this article from Education Week: "Digital Trends Shifting the Role of Teachers" (May 22, 2013):
  1. The teacher is a facilitator, which has always been my goal, at least in lessons not involving reading a book aloud to students.
  2. Using digital tools and innovative ideas can create an environment where students are not only responsible for their learning, but where they become the teacher in certain situations.
  3. Teachers who are effective are continually learning and growing.  They are willing to try new things: a new environment, a new tool, a new method, then evaluate it and keep on thinking about new ways to teach their students.

Key quotes:
"There's so much you can now do to innovate and adapt. It almost becomes addictive," [Mr. Merkert] said, with a smile. "I'm more enthused and involved than I've ever been. I can only hope that enthusiasm translates to my students." 
The road was bumpy at first, Ms. Throckmorton admits. She started out by trying to focus too much on the technology itself and not enough on the content. But after growing frustrated, she decided to simply plan her lessons the way she always had, and used the technology as an additional layer, or tool, to advance it. 
"The biggest shift has to happen in teaching. It's a pedagogy shift that teachers will have to undergo, from teacher-centered to student-centered, and it's pretty incredible what we're seeing so far," said Mr. Anderson, who has worked in the district for the past decade. 

"Teacher-centered to student-centered" is also a key element of the new (in 2013-14) Washington State Teacher Evaluation System, focusing on the teacher as facilitator.  Not only is the "flipped classroom" a system that allows students to take control of their own learning and use classroom time effectively, it is a strategy that reflects well on a teacher who can set up and manage such a system where students can be successful.

I will spend my summer thinking about what this might look like in the library.  I can make videos that students can watch in the computer lab, then show their learning through formative assessments and activities.  I can create book trailers, and then have students create their own trailers to share with each other.  I know that for this to work, a management system has to be in place which has clear expectations and procedures.  I will be observing some fellow librarians over the next week and formulating some new ideas for procedures, I am certain.  I will be keeping this article in mind as I set up those expectations.

No comments: